Friday, July 14, 2006

Yo ho...Yo ho...I need some Rum

After a lot of hype, and some really mindnumbing collections in it's first 3 days, Pirates of the Carribean : Dead Man's Chest came to Singapore a week after it came out in the US.

My take on the movie?

It's OK. That's about it. I liked the first installment better. This one is not bad, but I thought that it was stretched quite a bit. Quite a few times in the movie, I felt bored. However, there is one undeniable fact about the movie.

Jack is back!

Captain Jack Sparrow, aka Johnny Depp, is at his finest best. Jack makes the entire movie worthwhile.

In a scene where Keira Knightley (aka Elizabeth) meets Jack, he turns around and tells his first mate to "Hide the rum"! I laughed really hard at the reference to the first movie, but was surprised that I was the only person in the theatre who got the reference.

The plot hems and haws and eventually ends with a "To be continued" kind of state, obviously setting the stage for the third installment which is to come out next year.

All in all, my opinion about the movie is "It's OK". Not bad, but not great either. I wish it was. I wish they had made the plot a little slicker and made it into a standard length Hollywood flick rather than the 2.5 hour monster it is.

And they could have most definately cut off most of the sword fight on the giant water wheel. But then, Orlando Bloom would have no role left.

And there is an unexpected twist to the plot. Something that I don't think I should blog about just yet. Don't want to be jeered for being a spoiler. So watch the movie. It is worth one watch.

You owe it to Captain Jack!

No comments: