Saturday, July 08, 2006

A bad round with a surprising aspect

I was at Tering Bay in Batam today for another round. Ths time, I had my brother-in-law with me.

He landed this morning from Mumbai, India and I picked him up from the airport. We drove straight to the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal and just like that, my BIL had left the country of Singapore within 2 hours of landing here.

Me and my golf buddy started with an attrocious set of scores after a chink in my swing refused to go away no matter what I did.

I eventually wound up with a 92 and my golf buddy finished with a fairly undignified 113.

The most startling thing of the round was the 32 putts it took me to put the ball in. The reason I think this is startling is because I had two disasterous holes, one where I four putted -- yes you heard me right! Four putted! -- after being on the green in two on a par 4 and another where again, I was green in regulation, but missed a short four footer for par. Despite taking 3 more strokes than the average 2-per-hole, I still made a total of 32 putts.

That makes 7 single putts for the round. Not bad, huh?

There were some which were absolutely fantastic. Like the 40 footer from the edge of the green to a foot from pin for a tap-in par.

But all in all, my woes continue on the tee where my driver (my faithful turned brutal R5) refuses to co-operate with me. So when I stand on the tee, I have no clue where I am going. Iron play is still very strong and approach shots are looking good. Chipping and putting have greatly improved. The problem is, I am loosing too many strokes because of my tee shots.

So it's back to the range for me.

No comments: