Friday, July 07, 2006

I've never seen an Onion Uttappam like this

There's this Indian restaurant near my office where I sometimes go for a bite during lunch hour.

Most of the times, I have ordered the Chicken Biryani, which I find a bit too heavy on the spices. Not hot, but spicy. So the mouth feels like it is the source of too many spicy fragrances after lunch. I decided not to go the Biryani way today and so opted for the Onion Uttappam.

If you have had Onion Uttappam in India, you would know that it comes on a Dosa type dough with onion sprinkled on it and fried both ways.

Unfortunately, the guys here did not have a clue that the Uttappam is supposed to be that way.

So what I got instead looked like a local "Roti Prata" version with onion stuffed inside it. It's the wierdest serving of Onion Uttappam I have ever had.

And to top it, the guy gave me a fork and spoon. I could almost hear Allanis Morissette saying "It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife (from her song "Ironic")". And so I tried cutting and eating this version to the best of my abilities. I don't think I was very successful.

But I am still feeling quite filled with the little lunch I had.

No comments: