Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My first real tournament cometh

I have a confirmed registration for the Nongsa Cup Golf Tournament being held at Batam over this coming weekend.

The tournament is mainly to promote the Nongsa Pura Marina area (with the Palm Springs and Tering Bay golf courses and the Batam View and assorted hotels in the area) on the Batam island of Indonesia. The tournament will be held over a 2 days period (like a regular tournament) with the first round being played at the Tering Bay course (which is hell on a few holes when the wind is blowing) and the second round being played at Palm Springs (sort of my home course, one that I have played at the most since I moved to Singapore).

My wife surprised me completely the other day by not only agreeing for my participation in the tournament, but also suggested that she and my daughter would love to join me at Batam so that we can have a mini vacation. That, I thought, was a great idea and so that's what's going to happen. We are all booked at the Batam View hotel (which, I know for a fact, is a very nice property...having stayed there during our office offsite).

So the next weekend is going to be one where the family and I will chill out (apart for me going away for a few hours to slam balls in hopefully the right direction) and return in the evening on Sunday.

So far, after the last round, I am convinced that my swing has deserted me. So I think if I am to take this tournament seriously, I need to go to the driving range at least once to work on some of my shots, mainly the longer clubs. For most of the last round, I was grappling with the driver and the 4 iron. Also had trouble with pulling the short irons on short par 3s. Need to fix that, cause I don't want to get to the tournament not knowing where the ball is going to go.

So...it's three days more to go for the tournament.

Let's see how I fare in competition pressure (not that it's like the US Open, but it's still a tournament and I would like to win)

No comments: