Monday, November 20, 2006

A little longer, a bit greyer

I am, of course, talking about my hair.

So after sporting a pony tail for more than 3 years, then shaving it all of this April, I am back to growing my hair. Let's just say that I miss my long hair and really miss my pony tail.

So the hair is growing longer (and therefore is in the unmanageable territory right now). So L'oreal is my pal, with the styling mousse as part of my daily morning ritual to fight the mess that is my hair. Every morning, I have to attempt to make my ever growing hair look presentable before I leave for work.

I know the reason I shaved it off in the first place. The heat, the sweat, the effort to maintain long hair. But I miss it!

The biggest difference between then and now, though, is the number of grey hair that have crept in. For a while now, I have had unblemished jet black hair. Now there are a few grey hair that have made their appearence felt and will probably go us as time goes by. I think it's just an indication that I am getting older and that the body has moved into a phase where I need to take care of it more often.

Which brings me to my next point.

I am going to start cycling every single day. Mainly as excercise to begin with, but then eventually (once I get used to it) to use it as a mode of transportation to and from work. There are a few logistical things that I need to take care of before I start doing that.

First, there is the parking problem. Where do I leave my bike when I am at work? Do I have to pay parking charges for it? Is there a provision to keep the bike safe when I am not using it?

Then there is the problem of taking a shower once I reach work. This thing, I think is imminently solvable as I think there are a couple of shower rooms in the office building.

And then there is the ever important thing about breakfast. After cycling a few kilometers (hopefully at a high enough pace for it to be an excercise), I will feel hungry and, lets face it, the breakfast IS probably the most important meal for me. Also, there is the thing about lunch. Currently, I carry my lunch with me (packed graciously by my wife). Once I start leaving early enough, that advantage will disappear. So I need to worry about the two primary meals of the day.

But whatever the impediments, I WILL get on the bike and I will cycle.

Step one is buying a good bicycle. For that, I think I will just hop over to the store close to my office which looks like a very decent store to buy one. I actually went over to check it out and even have an estimate of how much it will cost to get a decent bike. Then there are the accessories (helmet, lights, etc.) which need to be considered.

I also do not know the laws governing bicycles in Singapore. Where am I allowed to take my bycycle? Do I have to pay ERP (I am yet to see a bike sporting an ERP machine, so that is a clue, but I still don't know for certain)? Does a bicycle qualify as a pedestrian thingy rather than a vehicle so that I can ride it on the sidewalks?

So many things to clarify. A visit to the local Police Station should help answer most of my queries. Which is where I plan to go in the next few days.

No comments: