Saturday, November 04, 2006

Jon saves the day (I mean, PDA)

I had a lot of trouble with my O2 Atom PDA when alarms started going off when I didn't want them to, but not when I wanted to.

Apparently, my Notification Queue had filled up and that had created all sorts of trouble for me in terms of multiple alarms for the same date, no alarm on the clock when I want it to buzz, etc.

So, on the suggestion from my friend, partner in crime & IndiPPC Admin (Bobby Bhai), I used softwares like MemMaid to clear the notification queue. While MemMaid is a very handy software, it does not do very well at detecting which notifications are duplicate (especially if they are created with different timestamps as a result of multiple syncs). So I deleted a lot of entries manually...and promptly lost the ability to Activesync.

That sent me into a wild tizzy to hunt for information on why AS was not working.

There's a big troubleshooting guide for activesync 4.x here on microsoft site which, as the site quotes, covers all the most common issues like

  • Connection between a Device and PC is dropped during data transfer or synchronization.
  • Connection is never established between PC and the Device and there is no visual feedback.
  • Synchronization is completed partially, but does not finish as intended.
  • Windows appears to stall or crashes upon connecting a device.

What this place does not cover is something that happened to me.

A lot of people had the same problem and most of them ended up hard reseting their devices. The scenario looked extremely bleak for me.

I found, later after a lot of posts, is that AS puts in an entry called repllog.exe in the Notification queue and it needs to have a few things there. One is quite easy. Add \Windows\repllog.exe with the event "RS232 connection was established" in the queue manually. What it also needs is the ability to on the event "RunAtRndisFnDetected" which CANNOT be created manually (because there is no option in the even drop down list).

Fortunately for me, Jon here had the exact same problem, but he being far less technically challanged (being a developer) than me, he created an application called FixASRunAt which solves the problem!!!!

YEEEE HAAAA!! Thanx a lot, Jon. You saved me a hard reset!

Thank God for the Internet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this post needs more love, took me hours to find through google and some obscure forum.

another hard reset saved. :) thanks Jon, and thank you for posting!

Mally from the Alley said...

The post has more relief in it than love, but I guess I should try and get it referenced more on Google so that it can help solve the same problem for a lot of people.

Glad I helped save you a hard reset.