Sunday, November 26, 2006

It waited more than 10 seconds...

What was to a large extent a disasterous round of golf suddenly livened up on the 14th hole.

Both me and my buddy had driven quite strongly to the center of the fairway (which was quite the exception for the round as we were hitting the ball all over the place). Both of us then managed to hit our approach shots over the green. I chipped in to about six feet from the hole and then waited for my buddy (who was just off the fringe) to chip on with his putter.

As the ball left his putter, I thought it was tracking all the way to the pin...which it was. It rolled right upto the hole and then stopped. Right at the edge of the cup! And then just stayed there!

And we screamed abuses at our luck and how it was robbery.

And then, after a full 10 seconds, it fell in! All by itself!

And that was an immensely satisfying birdie for my pal! What a great way to get it! Reminded me of the Tom Watson putt last year. Super cool!

Another event of note! I have driven the green on this particular par 4 (306 yards) a couple of times...once four putting for bogey (yeah, I know...) and then once birdied it. This time was even more peculiar.

I drove over the green! The ball landed just short of the green (with a fade spin) and then rolled over the green and went off into the greenside bunker in the back. From there, I had to get out and managed to make two putt for par. So now I have three different results from driving to this particular green!

That's golf...cutting you just enough slack to keep you coming back.

No comments: