Saturday, November 18, 2006

iCame, iSaw, iMac

That's right!

We bought a 20" iMac as our home machine today! Went over to the Apple store, checked out the prices and bought it. Just like that.

And it's a pleasure to setup and use. Very easy. It has everything built into the monitor, so it uses absolutely minimal space on the desk. And then there is the Mac OS X which is an absolute beaut.

So the day (and most of tomorrow) is going to be spent getting all the music, all the family pictures and stuff onto this machine (which, incidentally, has a 250GB hard disk and 2GB or RAM). Once all of that is there, this will officially become the family machine.

The only problem I have so far is the ability to do Google Talk Audio Chat on the machine. From what I have read so far, most IM vendors have ignored the Mac platform when it comes to their VoIP offerings, Google being the most offending because most of their apps are only for the Windows environment. The only audio chat service that IS available Skype...which is decent enough, but not the best IM solution. I would have preferred to do my chat and my audio conversations on GT. But then, I cannot have everything.

So now we have a great iMac at home to do all the stuff that my wife complained she could not do on the older system we had.

No excuses now! :-)

No comments: