Sunday, June 11, 2006

The most dishonest movie I have ever seen

I finally saw The Da Vinci Code yesterday. I don't think I have ever been disappointed this much.

Well, to begin with, as the movie begins with the murder of Jacques Saunier (which is pretty much as in the book...and probably the only thing in the movie which is), the scene shifts to a longer-than-usual haired Tom Hanks playing Robert Langdon. The presentation he goes thro is actually quite good as he explains the interpretation of symbols. And then comes the arrival of Lt. Collet -- in the middle of a book signing!

That's not what happens in the book. Langdon is woken from his sleep at the Ritz and therefore the "lack of alibi" status and therefore he is the suspect. But not in the movie. The plot is twisted beyond belief as they go further.

As Langdon and Fache enter the Louvre, Fache is shown to wear a small button with a cross on it. Supposedly the symbol of Opus Dei. In the book, he is wearing a Crux Gemmata and has no connection to Opus Dei.

Also, as they enter the Louvre, it is brightly lit and not under subdued lighting as described in the book.

And from here the story spirals out of control. It goes from far fetched to the bizarre. And shows no signs of coming back.

I had a weird experience while watching the movie. When Silas suddenly attacked Langdon at Teabing's house, the woman sitting behind me screamed out loud which jolted me out of my diselief. By the time I had stopped laughing, they had boarded the plane. Which incidentally they take to Switzerland (not England as in the book).

It is the worst movie I have ever seen. I am not sure how Dan Brown allowed the story to be mutilated so much. Sure there was a lot of pressure from religious groups which demanded that the story go a bit different from the book. But this was way, way, way too much.

Really disappointed with the movie. It sucks.

No comments: