Friday, June 02, 2006

I'm going HD

Just got a call from Starhub to confirm that I am going to be part of the HDTV trial here in Singapore.

What that means is starting Monday evening, I will be viewing HD content whenever Starhub transmits it. That includes watching the entire world cup in High Definition.

The only fly in the ointment, which I thought Starhub should not have done, is the fact that Starhub will only be providing RGB cables to connect the HD set-top-box to my TV. I would have imagined that since this was a trial, they would want users to feedback on the picture quality and so use the best connector (HDMI) for the connection.

What they have told me is that only RGB (which is the PC type connector) will be made available and that I would need to buy the HDMI connector on my own if I want it connected that way. I thought that was a cheap way of making money on the connector.

Even so, I am thrilled that I will be making the most of my HDTV and be able to enjoy the World Cup experience a little more.

On top of it, I get full access to all the Starhub channels during the trial period which lasts until December 2006. After that, I can choose to continue with the service or choose to return the reciever.

I will decide when they come out with the pricing model for HD.

No comments: