Thursday, June 15, 2006

Fight tooth and nail only to lose in the last minute

What a game it was last night between Germany and Poland. For most of the game, I actually thought Poland was on top. They fought for every single ball, never allowed Germany to settle into any kind of rhythm and just played better than the hosts.

Unfortunately for the Poles, they had Sobolewshi sent off after getting a second yellow card. And with 10 men, they could only defend so much. And so in the 90th minute, Neuville put the cross from Odonkor into the back of the net and came away with the full three points to top their group table.

I did not think the Germans deserved the win. The Poles deserved it a lot more. But then, in soccer, the final score is what matters and the Germans came away with the crucial 1-0 sqeak.

Tonight, my team (England, in case you missed so many of my earlier posts) plays Trinidad & Tobago. This is the same team which came away with a 0-0 draw with Sweden in their first match. As per David Beckham, this will be a tough match. But I am hoping England smash them.
In the background, there is a lot of noise about Wayne Rooney's return to the team. I don't think his return should be rushed and he should be asked to play only if his foot has healed completely. Anything premature and it could mean the end of Rooney as we know him. And that would be a shame. He is such a wonderful talent to watch.

As usual, I will be in my England jersey shouting my head off.

No comments: