Monday, January 16, 2006

What a swing change

I finally figured out what's wrong with my swing.

I know you're going to snort when I tell you what I did to figure it out, but I am incapable of feeling ashamed. So I'm going to tell you anyways.

I made my wife stand behind me in our living room and handed her our Nikon 8700 which I had setup to take high speed shots (20 frames per second). And then I made my swing. Yep, right there.

And this is what I found.

  1. I was addressing with a broken wrist
  2. I was slouching and not standing with my back straight
  3. I was dropping my shoulder during backswing
  4. I was over extending my swing beyond the level position at the top
  5. I was pulling during the follow through

Hmm.

So I went down to the driving range and kept in my mind 4 simple swing thoughts before I started each swing.

  • Don't slouch
  • Don't break your wrist
  • Drag the club straight as much as possible for a half swing
  • Finish high

The ball flight spoke. My swing was back.

I can once again draw and fade the ball whenever I want to. I, however, need to keep reminding myself of all these swing thoughts before I have a whack. I tried just taking one without running the thoughts in my head. Oh, disaster!

So I guess the swing is back. It only needs to be tested on the course now.

Let's see how it goes.

No comments: