Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I miss these guys

I am talking about my golf buddies, before you get any ideas.

Before I moved to Singapore, these two guys were the ones I spent the most time with outside of my family. Other than the mostly twice-a-week golf rounds, we used to meet up for a drink, an F1 race viewing, a dinner once in a while, a quiz.

And these are the guys who are single handedly responsible for the improvement in my golf game. They were the guys who made me move from the driving range to the golf course. They motivated me to get better. They made it competitive and fun.

It was like the three of us knew each other's game so well, we could tell when any of us was wrong. And while the rounds were always competitive, they were never at the expense of each other's game. We were always watching each other to keep an eye for a mistake.

After I have moved here, my rounds with these guys are the ones I miss the most. Especially when one of them calls to tell me about their last round. It makes me feel great talking to these guys, knowing that they missed me when they went out to play, but also makes me question why I moved.

"You are the reason our golf game is getting worse." "Why did you have to move?" I don't know how many times I have heard these guys say this. I guess I am responsible for it. It's just that I could not take what I was doing in back home any more.

So here I am, alone in Singapore, once again searching for golf partners. But one thing is for certain. I will never get golf buddies like these guys ever again. And I know that these guys will be waiting for me if I go back.

Guys, if you ever read this (and there is an extremely thin chance that you will), this post is for you. You made my life a lot better by just being in it. We might disagree on which F1 driver we support or which Premier League club we stand behind, but we are one great team. I think we all helped each other in our own way.

I just wish this part of my life was a bit different.

No comments: