Monday, January 30, 2006

Get a grip

Actually, the title of the post should be "Loosen your grip", but that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I went to the driving range today. Found out that I was only going to get further depressed about my golf game. You have to remember that I haven't played a game for a really long time and the only time I came close is the time a couple of weeks ago where I landed up in Malaysia intent to play, but without a valid VISA.So obviously, I was feeling extremely low about my game.

Today, I realised another crucial mistake I was making. I was squeezing the grip a lot more than I should. That automatically made the swing a lot more stiff and all the problems came up. As soon as I relaxed the grip, the contact was really sweet.

But I am still fading. If you remember from my earlier rambles, I used to be a natural draw'r of the ball. But now, the fade is a part of my swing.

Not sure if that's a good sign. I am reading this book called "Tiger's new swing" which analyses the big man's swing change under Hank Haney. The book elaborates all the swing changes Tiger has made to go from a big draw to a power fade. And it seems that I have, accidentally of course, made the same changes to my setup. And believe me, I have not been trying to make my swing go to a fade from my most loved and reliable draw. So it's a bit strange to see my swing go this way.

Anyways, I tried, unsuccessfully I might add, to get my swing back on track. One of the things I think is the problem for the fade is that my back is not used to turning as much as it used to be. Because of that, my swing is very much handsy after a few balls on the range. So as long as I get the break between strokes on the course, I should be OK. Only time will tell.

Pray for me, all of you.

No comments: