Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The only 2 days when I am really religious

Sunday and Monday were part of the Ganeshotsav festival honouring Lord Ganesha.

To me, this is the single most important of all the numerous Hindu festivals thro the year. For a simple, solitary reason.

Lord Ganesha is my chosen representation of the Ultimate Being, of God. Of his many forms, I find this form the most endearing. And also the most potent.

Lord Ganesha is known as "Vighnaharta", literally meaning "Remover of obstacles". But to me, he is a lot more. He is my benefactor, my friend, my sounding board and my strength. He is the one I go to when I don't feel strong enough, and he gives me strength.

I never thought myself religious. I am not a devout Hindu, I don't hold much store in rituals, I refuse to chant things that I don't understand. But when it comes to these two days in a year, I am a completely different person. I pray, I chant, I bow and I watch.

As you might have read - in between the lines - in my previous post, I have always felt blessed. Always felt guided. As if He is watching over me.

And I am thankful for that!

Ganapati Bappa, Mourya! Pudhchya Varshi Lavkar ya!

No comments: