Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The World Cup in Hi Def?

Yep...you heard me right!

Starhub here in Singapore is going to hold a trial of High Definition (HD) transmission beginning with the World Cup. The trial will of course not be only for the 4 special channels for the World Cup, but for other channels as well. And the trial will be on until the end of December this year.

The catch is that everybody will not be able to get it. To get this, you have to register on the Starhub website and declare that you have a HD capable TV (they even have a menu providing a list of vendors and models which are a pre-requisite to registration), that you are already a pay-per-view customer of Starhub (meaning you have subscribed for the 4 WC channels) and that you agree to pay a one time fee of around S$100 for the service to be activated.

Then you have to wait with bated breath and hope that you get picked.

I sure hope I get picked. It will be really great fun to watch the World Cup matches in Hi Def. The clarity will be awesome. And for certain other channels, even surround sound will be available as an option. So I can hook up the Hi Def set top box (here I am assuming that I am already picked for the trial...the optimist) to my home theatre amplifier and freak out.

I just hope I get picked.

Aaah...this is so helpless. I cannot do anything to get them to pick me.

2 comments:

Mally from the Alley said...

Hey Michael

Thanx a lot for the analysis. I tried hard to find HD ready TVs which did not have HDCP, but was quite unsuccessful. So am unsure why the big deal.

Unknown said...

the point is not HDCP. It's everywhere. But it may be on the wrong interface. And you may not be able to connect your computer to the LCD and have a good picture.