Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I thought I was good at this

Ever since I was little, I knew my mind worked differently when it came to music.

I could recall bits of music which I had heard a long time ago, remember songs which I had heard years ago, associate bits of music to songs very quickly and if I knew a song, I would recognise it within the first few seconds. Even now, if I cannot recognise the song as soon as it has started, I have never heard the song before.

Now I know one more person who has the same uncanny ability for music. My own daughter!

I always knew she had an ear for music...you can see from my earlier posts about her taste for music (really good one too) and her favourite songs. But yesterday she took me completely by surprise.

I was in one of my moods where I play DJ using my iPod and I play songs which fit my mood through the evening. Yesterday, I was playing songs which my daughter hadn't heard before.

After a while, when I was pooped dancing, I switched to Kenny G's "Songbird". It's a great song and has been one of my favourite instrumental songs.

As soon as I put it on, my daughter pranced up to me and said that this song was on the "Robots" movie soundtrack. I was half way into trying to convince her otherwise when she explained.

"Remember when Ratchett is lying down and the robot is rubbing his back...just before his mother comes in, this music is playing" she said.

And then it hit me. She was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! BANG ON!

Songbird IS actually played as a background track exactly at that time in the movie. The song is played only for a couple of seconds, but she picked it up instantly and associated it with the movie!

I stood there stunned and proud at the same time.

I guess this is what it means when people say the next generation gets better than the older one!

No comments: