Saturday, May 06, 2006

It took me almost 10 months

Yeah, I know it's a long time, but I finally did it!

I broke 90 for the first time since I came to Singapore. Shot 89 at the Tering Bay course in Batam, a course I was playing for the first time.

We started on the back nine and I played bogey golf for the first seven holes, missing par on two occasions with three putts on each of these holes. Just when I thought my putting was going to ruin the day, my putting stroke came back.

After double bogeying the 8th, I parred the last to finish the front nine on a bogey 45. The back nine began with a par and the bogey golf look like it would continue when I hit a double bogey on the 12th. So far I was playing bogey and was determined to not screw up.

The next five holes were all played to bogey and I managed to par the final hole with a single putt. One short of bogey for the back nine and one short of bogey for the entire round.

That felt really good. What felt better was that I did not hit as many fairways as I usually do and hit far fewer GIRs than normal. Despite that, I save bogey, sometimes even par, and went about the round with only 2 double bogeys. I know I could have had a lot more pars, but I prefer not having more double bogeys. Also 33 putts for the round is not bad. Not great, but not bad either. Considering my recent putting form, it was great.

I hope to do better in my next round.

No comments: