Thursday, May 25, 2006

Scotty is paid for

After making only 29 putts in my last round of golf, I think my decision to change to the Scotty Cameron Circa 62 Model 1 putter was the right one.

I made 8 single putts, 9 two putts and only one 3 putt (mainly because I mijudged the break and ended up on the wrong side of the hole...incidentally it was again a hole where I was on the green in regulation and then did my customary three-putt). The putter saved a lot of holes for me and I made a lot of clutch putts for par.

If I look at the round, I had only 5 greens in regulation, but 7 pars. If you discard one GIR where I three putted, I saved par and scrambled up and down with single putts for 3 of my pars. I can count at least four holes where my putts for par or birdie lipped out and stopped a couple inches from cup. Had they dropped, my score would have been lower than the 87 that I shot.

But then, that's golf. So the round was 87. And I am quite happy with the round. Now I am back to my consistently-breaking-90 form. I am also hitting a lot more fairways (9 out of 14) and hitting a lot more greens. The chipping department is also getting a lot better. And the putter is showing the most improvement. So all in all, the game looks like it is on the way up.

Only thing that I know I am bad at is long lagging putts. When I sit behind the ball on a 30 footer, I have no idea how much to stroke the ball to get it to the hole. Because I have no practice for long putts, I am either way short or way long on my putt. This leaves a particularly tricky second putt for par (a lot of which I made during the last round. but not all).

Here's to a better game.

No comments: