Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The only time I forgot to keep count.

Yesterday was a disaster!

After playing the fabulous 83, my confidence for the game was at an all time high. Yes, I had managed to hurt my wrist a bit, but it did not feel serious. So I ignored it. It had been hurting for the last couple of weeks, but it did not affect my game on the weekends. I did not take a weeks rest into account.

As I prepared to play the AIA-SCS Charity tournament at the Tanah Merah Country Club's Tampines Course, I did not feel the pain as I stood on the 7th tee box, the starting place for our group. But I did feel it as soon as I teed off.

So to avoid putting pressure on it, I weakened my grip and held out on releasing the club thro impact. And predictably, my ball flew right. Again and again.

To make a long story short, it was a disasterous round.

To make it worse, I hit trees twice in succession on the back nine, thanks to my slice and somewhere during the ride to my ball, I lost the will to play. I have never felt this before on a golf course, but the fight just went out of me.

I played the rest of the holes half heartedly and came back with a pain that I carry even today. Yeah, my hand is sitting wrapped in crape bandage and hoping that the as-little-as-possible movement will give enought rest so that the hand is ready for the SGA tournament on Saturday.

If it doesn't heal, I will most probably not play. There is not point in slicing away and ending up with a humiliating round.

I just hope it heals. And quickly.

No comments: