Wednesday, February 03, 2010

What nationality?

Now before there is furore, let me clarify right away. I am a proud Indian thro and thro! Love this country (despite all its flaws and its problems) and very strongly believe that it's people (not the number of them, but their characters and culture) that make India different from any other place in the whole world.


But this post is obviously not about my patriotism…

This worm started with someone accusing me of switching sides when Schumi (Michael Schumacher for all you F1 neophytes) joined the Mercedes F1 team this year. Having been a long time supporter of Schumi and therefore Ferrari, I was very much a part of the Tifosi, the largely in red support group around the Prancing Horse.

And that got me thinking…and I realized:

I am Indian when I watch cricket.
I am Swiss when I watch tennis (except when it's doubles, where I am Indian again).
I am American when I watch golf.
I am British when I watch football.
I used to have dual citizenship (Germany and Italy) while watching F1, but have turned in my Italian citizenship to be an all and out German.
I am Indian again when I watch hockey.
I am Finnish when I watch the World Rally Championship.
I am American again when I watch basketball.

Wow! When it comes to sport, I am a global citizen :-)

1 comment:

Aarti Sharma said...

WOW!! Now that you have written it....it seems so true....