Friday, March 03, 2006

One stroke at a time...

Yeah, looks like the improvement is coming a stroke at a time. Played to 94, then 93 and now 92.

I played with the gang at the Cempaka course at Palm Resort, a course that I was playing for the first time, and came away with a 92. While it looks like an improvement in a way, it's actually not a good round.

Highlights of the round:

  • Scorching hot weather and an afternoon tee off. Energy sapped
  • Completely new course, so no idea on the layout and the pace/break of the greens
  • Game OK for the first 12 holes
  • Getting a lot more comfortable with the driver...
  • Occasional fades with driver, but mostly straight off the tee
  • Chipping still terrible
  • Putting horrible this round. Just refused to drop. 40 in all.
  • Gave a single handicapper a run for his money
  • Swing feeling a lot more confortable and feels like it's almost back to what it was when I left India


But, stats don’t lie...and so the game was a real shitty one. Especially the last few holes.

It was the first time I felt that the round should just get over. I have never ever felt that on a golf course. By the time I reached the fifteenth tee, I was physically dead. I know you will say that I am making an excuse for the last few holes, but you can choose to believe me if you want. Especially when you know how critical I am about my game.

Only solace is the fact that my driver off the tee is a lot better. Except for an occasional slice, which I attribute to a bad grip on the tee, I am getting a lot more consistent with it. And a lot more comfortable as well. What it is allowing me to do now is to hit a strong long iron which takes me very close to the green.

And then I promptly screw up all the good work with a horrendous chip. Maybe I will use a smaller iron and then pitch it on instead of chipping.

Today, even my putter refused to co-operate. Even when I was Green In Regulation, I was taking three putts to get off. The last couple of rounds, I didn't make a single three-putt. This round, I made four.

I can say that I was playing on these greens for the first time, but then, I should have got the hang of them in the first few holes. So no excuses there.

But the game is definately getting better. In a month's time (hopefully), I will be back to the form that I was playing before I came in to Singapore and with my grip and swing change, probably be able to attack the score with a little more consistency.

I am hoping for getting into single digits before the end of the year.

No comments: