Monday, March 06, 2006

My daughter and golf

I probably mentioned on one of my earlier blogs that I was getting my daughter to appreciate The Game.

So I thought I will take her downstairs (we have a small putting green in our apartment) and show her how it's to be done.

You will not believe me when I tell you this, but she was putting like a Pro in 15 minutes flat! I tried to keep it simple by explaining to her that she needs to tell the ball where to go and then get into a position to send it there.

So I kept repeating four things to her everytime she got on top of the ball. I kept saying "Allignment, Grip, Posture, One...Two"

After a while, she started doing these things in that order...And started sinking EVERY single putt I put for her.

At first I thought it was because the ball was closer to the hole. But boy, was I wrong. I moved the ball to more than six feet away from the hole and she put it in.

A couple of days later, I wanted to give her the feel of putting rather than just putting the ball in the hole. So I kept telling her that as long as she alligned correctly, had the right grip and posture, and then kept her rhythm, the ball will fall in.

And so I asked her to do all the things she did before tapping the ball. And then I asked her to close her eyes!

She put all four balls she stood on into the hole! With her eyes closed!

You should have seen the expression on her face when she heard the ball plop in. It was full of wonder and amazement. And I told her that it just reiterated what I was telling her from the beginning.

Now, she does not move her head at all and does not move till the ball has left for the hole. And her putting stroke is like butter!

I am so proud of my daughter.

We will be moving to chipping next!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah... I see a PGA Champion in the making!! kudos to papa coach :-D

generation Z is indeed fast in learning things than us :-)