Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Insert, use your thumb, take it out, walk away

For all you dirty minded kinky people, this is a reminder that things are not exactly as they seem and that you should not jump to conclusions.

If you have checked out the IACS (Immigration Automated Clearance System) facility, you would know what I am talking about.

What this little card allows me to do is skip the immigration queues and get in and out of the country of Singapore in a flash. All I have to do is insert the smart card (that I got made for exactly the same purpose) in to the IACS machine, get my thumb scanned and then take my card out and walk thro the gate which has just opened for me. As simple as that and it hardly takes 10 seconds to clear immigration. It's really convenient.

Getting the card was not a hassle at all. All I had to do was carry a photograph, my passport and employment pass to the ICA building in Kallang (which, FYI, is right next to the Lavender MRT station). I proceeded to the second level and to counter 13 (which had no queue) and was attended to immediately. My documents were verified, my photo was scanned, they took both my thumb prints and then asked me to wait. After exactly 4 minutes, I had my very own smart card with my fingerprint details on it which would allow me convenience during immigration into and out of Singapore.

And considering the fact that you have to step out of the country if you have to leave Singapore, it's a good idea, huh? All the more convenient since I frequently go to Malaysia to play golf.

I tried this for the first time last weekend and it worked like a charm (of course it did, not that I was worried that it wouldn't). Super convenient. While my golf buddies waited in the queue to finish immigration formalities, I was done with it and I also finished a little bit of duty free shoppoing before they joined me...looking considerably sour, I must add.

Residents of Singapore, I definately recommend you try it.

No comments: