Friday, March 09, 2007

Thank God she's fine

As I had mentioned in my last post, I was heading down to Sydney for vacation with my family. Sydney was really great. I will put in another post detailing what all we did in the land Down Under, but suffice to say, it was a fun trip.

What I did not expect was what happened after I got back from vacation. On saturday evening, we had the daily hour long video chat session over Skype with my folks. My mom complained about a little back ache, something she regularly gets because of her slip disk condition and the operation she underwent more than 25 years back. But from everything, it did not seem really bad.

The next day, I got a call from my sister saying that mom was unwell and that she was not waking up. My father, with the help of a few people, rushed her to the nearest hospital and all kinds of test were done, all of which turned out to be normal. But she still wouldn't regain consciousness.

I caught the next available flight to Mumbai and had my friends pick me up at the airport so that they could drive me to the hospital where she was being cared for.

After a couple of days, she finally came to and the story unfolds thus: She took a couple of painkillers with her regular medication (she has a heart condition) and the combination of the two was responsible for this state. After three days of sleeplessness, we were finally told that she's fine.

Thank God!

We then showed her to the best Neurophysician in Mumbai, Dr Mohit Bhat who recommended we see Dr Shekhar Bhojraj, who is the best Spine Surgeon in Mumbai. Dr Bhojraj felt that this was not a spinal condition and that the pain had more to do with the hip region.

A few more tests and MRIs later, it was deduced (correctly indicated by Dr Bhojraj) that the right hip joint was the problem. We were then asked to see Dr Rajesh Maniar, who is the best Joint Surgery expert in Mumbai.

He too confirmed that it was the hip and that it was relatively routine surgery to tackle the problem.

So with a huge sigh of relief, I left Mumbai with my mom in the care of my sister. We have a date for the hip operation and we will be taking care of the problem once and for all.

Thank God she is fine and Thank God we know exactly what the problem is and how to resolve it.

It's been the first few days in the last couple of weeks where I've felt a bit relaxed.

6 comments:

Vikasm said...

Couldn't understand why such a good experience is posted as Bakwas :-(

Mally from the Alley said...

Vikas, the rest of my blog is Bakwas that I come up with, but every once in a while, there's a post which isn't...like this one. Thank you for the comment

Unknown said...

Mally are you sure that Dr Bhojraj is the best Spine surgeon in Mumbai

Mally from the Alley said...

Gaurav, I can't honestly say...but I was recommended to see him thro people who are in the know (very senior and respected people in other fields of the medical profession)...and my experience was absolutely fantastic!

K k Masani said...

I was operated by dr Sekhar bhojraj in 2015 for lumbar spine n under high pain for 2 years.Total failure n no improvement after repeated followups. Just one statement_ all.is fine. Had to do coorective surgery again with good dr mahesh Chowdhury n dr Arvind Kulkarni and he rectified n operated successfully

Mally from the Alley said...

Mr KK Masani, my sympathies for your two years of pain. My blog post is not an endorsement of anyone, but a recounting of my experience. And as part of that experience, my interaction with Dr Bhojraj resulted in the correct diagnosis of my mother's true problem which resulted in the right course of action.