Thursday, March 15, 2007

A new project for the idle mind (mine)

I'm not sure if I told you guys this, but a long time back, I bought a Cobalt Qube 2. For all of you who don't know what that is, it's a tiny, compact server which was designed by Cobalt Computer, which later got bought over by Sun Microsystems.

The genius of this computer is that it is one of the easiest computers to setup, configure and use. It has a small LCD screen using which you can chose to do a lot of things. Like booting it up, configuring it's various services, changing it's IP address, shutting it down. Well, quite a few things that you would otherwise need to get into the system to do.


When I moved to Singapore, I mistakenly left this server with my folks back home. I hunted all over when we had unpacked and only then realized that the system was in India.


Well, this time I remember to get it back with me!


And after I got it back, I realized that it has been sitting idle for a lot longer than I thought. For one, the configuration reminded me of systems more than 10 years ago. I mean, 64MB of RAM and a 13GB disk with a 250Mhz MIPS variant processor? It looks like a computer from The Flintstones when I compare it with the hardware that I have at home.


So why am I bothering with it?


Cause it can still be a great server for keeping the family photographs, storing all our music and videos, a place for my Dad to upload other stuff and in general, it could behave as the family web server, with all the stuff the family wants to put up.


And it's cute as hell! Judge for yourself...



Don't you agree? Doesn't it really look awesome? It would look really great in my setup at home.


Now the only problem is that I need to make this server a bit more powerful which has a bit more capacity. A bigger hard disk here, a bit more memory there, a more modern operating system and Viola! It will be done.


Will let you know how that goes. For now, you can just drool at the sight of my beautiful Cobalt Qube.


Cheers!

No comments: