Tuesday, March 27, 2007

She continues to amaze me

Last night, as I walked into my house, I saw my daughter finishing with her dinner and I noticed some movie that was just ending. The credits were rolling and a familiar voice welcomed me home.

As I walked up to her, she said "Pappi, I was watching Brother Bear 2 and I think a lot of the songs in it were by Melissa". She of course was talking about Melissa Etheridge, probably my numero uno artist, who is almost always referred to at home by her first name only. And it was the same familiar voice which greeted me as I walked into the house.

So I knew that the last song was definately by her, but I checked just now and about half the songs on the Brother Bear 2 soundtrack are, in fact, performed by Melissa.

My daughter continues to astonish and pleasantly surprise me every day. I have not seen a child so attuned to music and so open to it. She does not discriminate, neither does she make her mind up before she's heard or seen something. She would listen to a song by Melissa or Pink Floyd or Tears for Fears or even Shakira (yeah, Hips dont lie is a big hit at home too).

And I am really glad she likes Melissa. Melissa has walked with me as I go though a lot. Everyday. Sometimes she sings about how I am feeling. Sometimes, she sings about how I want to feel. I really love her music and her lyrics. Of course, her voice is the perfect compliment to both of her talents.

I'm just glad my daughter has this amazing gift.

No comments: