Monday, January 29, 2007

A trophy...despite not playing for more than a month!

That's right...you read that correctly.

Remember I was talking about this golf tournament I was going to play in, despite not having played for more than 6 weeks? Well, I did play. And I came runner up!

The front nine was a complete and utter disaster. Shot 12 over with the ball going all over the place. Main culprit was my putting. Of course I can blame the greens at the Jurong Country Club (which were sandy and super fast despite the all night rain), but after not playing for a really long time, I had no feel about how much to roll my putts.

So after a depressing nine holes, I thought in my mind that I needed to pull up my socks if I had any hope of doing better in this tournament, even if it was only for my own sake.

So a beautiful tee shot and an even better approach shot later, I rolled a thirty footer putt for birdie! And then parred the next few holes. A par, a few bogeys later, I had completed the back nine five over...Not my lowest 9 hole score, but certainly a lot lower than what I am used to playing. Especially after playing so terribly on the front nine.

So after adding everything up, I knew I had no chance of anything, but there's always hope.

It turns out that most of the people had a terrible day that day, mainly thanks to the putting (cause everyone was cursing the greens). And in the presentation ceremony, I found out that I had the lowest 9 hole score and that I had finished runner up! So I took my trophy (I'm sure the picture will show me with a bemused look) and came back home.

So there it is...The first round after a really long break and I realized that my swing is still pretty much there, that I need to work on my short game and that if I play regularly, I will add to the trophies (only two so far) in my cabinet.

Single handicap, here I come!

No comments: