Monday, February 06, 2006

Moonchild

This Iron Maiden song was my initiation to the world of Hard Rock music a long, long time ago.

Why am I posting this today? Cause my iPod just shuffled the song this morning and it was a real treat to hear it after a long time. It is, of course, a wonderful song (for people who like that kind of music).

I still remember the day I heard the song. Until then, my music was limited to Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Beatles, Phil Collins...the pop variety. I had heard bits of Hotel California someplace, but didn't know the name of the song.

So when I hummed it out to a friend of mine (he who was God at that time and had the largest collection of music I had ever seen) and he immediately picked it up and said "You've heard of The Eagles. There's hope for you yet."

And he played the song which I probably (and I am quite sure, most of you as well) have heard the most number of times in my life. Then he told me that I should give hard rock a try.

Until then, I had classified all rock as noise and filed it away, but something told me this guy knew what he was doing. So I sat there as this guy put on "Moonchild". And I was hooked.

He then proceeded to play "Hallowed be thy name", "Paranoid", "One" and so many songs which have gone on to become part of my all time favourite list.

That day was a major milestone in my music appreciation.

Thank you, Bhataa.

No comments: