Friday, February 24, 2006

Drool, Drool, Drool

Yes, I am slobbering on the floor.

I test drove th Mizuno MP-32 clubs. And I am in love.

I went over to the Golf House, the distributors for Mizuno in Singapore, to try out the MP-32 clubs. In all my research, there is no sweeter club to hit. So I decided to check them out.

On first looks, they look like forged blades, but not quite. Mizuno has this cut muscle design which allows them to redistribute the mass on the club. So the clubs dont look like classical blades, but look very very similar.

So I had a go with them.

Now before I tell you how they felt, I should tell you something about my swing. I very rarely miss the sweetspot on my existing Adams GT set. In case I do, which is mostly because I screwed up at address or pressed, I tend to shank the ball. So it's not just a mishit. It's a disaster.

Armed with the knowledge that the MP-32 rewards hitting the sweet spot and the fact that I more often than not hit it where I should, I took a few swings with the club.

Pssst.....

The sound of the ball leaving the club face.

Felt like cutting thro warm butter. No harsh sound, no vibrations. Just good, solid contact and a rocket of a ball. I even tried to deliberately hit it off the toe. I got a lot of feedback about the shot not being so good, but the ball still went in the general direction of intent. Super Cool!

I tried both the NS Pro and the Dynamic Gold shafts, both obviously in Stiff flex because of my swing speed. And then I had a long chat with the Pro who fits the clubs.

He setup a couple of radars for sensing my swing speed for a 6 iron and we clocked it between 85 and 90 mph. That, according to the Pro, is a fast swing. And then he mentioned that the NS Pro may not be the best shaft for me, mainly because of the swing speed.

Now this is the opinion I had as well when I hit balls with both types. I felt that my contact with the Dynamic Gold was much better than the NS Pro and that the ball flight was also a lot better for me with DG.

Of course, DG is a bit heavier than the NS Pro. But I am used to playing with heavier clubs, especially since my fitted Adams GT are about an inch longer than standard length and therefore a lot heavier. No matter how much the DG weighs, it will still be lighter than my Adams GT.

Fact is, I am sold on the clubs. I need to confirm with Golf House on whether they have stock for the MP-32 and when I can get them. And then I am just going to go get them.

The fitting schedule is going to be fixed shortly.

MP-32, here I come!

No comments: