Monday, February 20, 2006

94

Yep...Hit 94 on Saturday.

The start of the round was a complete disaster. Started playing with a single handicapper and both of us were having a lot of trouble. In fact, he was hitting worse scores than I was. So he decided to leave after 6 holes and I started afresh from the 1st tee with another group.

And after the front 9, I think I finally found my swing. There were a few glitches where I shanked a ball here and there, but overall, the swing was there. Approach shots are getting a lot more consistent than ever. And my putting yesterday was mindblowing. As you can see on the back 9, I single putted 5 in a row to either save par or bogey. That was really cool. And most of the time, I was not reaching the green because the wind was really unpredictable and so the approach difficult to control.

Chipping is not good at all. I have completely lost the feel that I had got when I moved here. But there is hope that it will improve. 94 with a disasterous front nine and an unpredictable swing is not bad. Not good either.

Now for the changes made. Major changes to the grip. Don’t think I can describe it, but the grip feels so much different. The outcome is that the ball flight is arrow straight and consistent trajectory. No more fade or draw. With the longer irons, I get a lot of roll too as opposed to the earlier swing where it would shoot high and stop without a roll.

Other change is on the top. When I am at the top after a full swing, I have a slight pause before I start the downswing. Almost a quarter of a second. I realized that it allows for a full uncoil and a better swing and stops me from rushing the shot.

All I was doing the last round was saying "One...Two..." in my mind when I was swinging. Just keep rhythm and everything else will follow, I thought. And it paid off to an extent.

Now that I know what I need to work on, I am going to get hard to work.

No comments: