Wednesday, November 23, 2005

93

Yep, that's what I shot!

After a break of more than four months, I finally played a round of golf! YESSS!!!

I, along with a few people, went to the Palm Resort golf resort in Johor Bahru to play the Melati course, which is one of the three courses the resort has to offer.

I was quite impressed with the efficiency of the immigration procedure at the First Link between Singapore and Malaysia. After about 15 minutes of queuing up, we were on our way to the course. As we neared, the skyline seemed to get darker and darker. We only hoped that it would not rain.

But it was not to be. The rain came down, a drizzle at first and then pouring down. We, however, decided to go ahead with the round. We didn't actually think that the rain would get worse. I guess we are really bad weathermen.

As there were a few groups waiting on the first tee, we decided to start from the 15th hole. I was going to use my new Taylor Made R5 driver for the first time and frankly, even a blind man could have made out that I was not hitting it right. I struggled off the tee for the first few holes, but managed to scramble to five bogeys in a row.

For someone who has not played for a while, bogeys are welcome. It meant that I was doing something right. Honestly, the swing was there, just that there was no feel for the chipping and putting part of the game. So lost a few holes because of the chipping.

Then a few pars and a few more bogeys later, I was still playing to 11 over after 14 holes. The rain was now steadly comind down, affording only so much visibility and messing up the grips. Then disaster struck.

I hit a really beautiful drive, smack in the center of the fairway. Mighty pleased with myself, I walked over to my ball. I noticed that it was just off the drain cover, so it was an awkward lie, but not completely unplayable.

Then I shanked, got it back and shanked again. By the time, I was on the green I was already playing my 8th stroke and then single putted to a quadruple bogey. My card was destroyed.

The game, thinking I could handle a little more devastation, put another double bogey on my card at the very next hole. By the time I located my disappeared swing, I was already eight strokes off where I wanted to be.

So finally, I played to 93 on a par 72 course. Not bad, I try to convince myself, considering the fact that I was playing for the first time in four months and that it was pouring on course. Also, I was playing the course for the first time, which I think does play a role.

The high point of the day was the return of the putting feel. I finished the round with 34 putts and had only a single three putt (when I was on the green in regulation on a long par 5, can you believe it?)

So armed with the knowledge (or the lack) of my swing, I will be playing a friendly tournament on Sunday. And this time, I will keep the driver in the bag. Unless I can spend some time with it at the driving range.

Wish me luck!

No comments: