Monday, August 22, 2005

Sand can, and does, hurt

Some of us in office planned a Sunday beach volleyball excusion to the Tanjong Beach on Sentosa island. It looked (at least from the mailing list) that there were around 10 of us in the going.

As I landed up there, the heavens decided to spice things up by pouring down. And when I say pouring down, I mean visibility of a few hundred feet!

So I'm thinking "These guys aren't going to turn up, so I might as well order a few drinks and get drunk in the rain". So I did...order drinks, I mean. The getting drunk part comes later! And I met a couple of folks who were planning to do the same thing. A guy from Finland, one from Sweden and we had a regular UN tribunal happening over Vodka & Cranberry.

And then a few of us showed up. And I thought "This has promise". And then a few more arrived. And the heavens parted as if to say "Let there be light ... & then some". I don't think any of us needed any more invitations to get the party going.

So we limbered up with a bit of frisbee & then a bit of American Football. It's then that I noticed a peculiar phenomenon (and I have a collegue to thank for pointing it out to me).

There were couples who had come there in their wedding ensemble to get their pictures taken. And these were pictures with them walking into the sunset (on a murky rainy day? That picture needs to be digitally touched up pronto), the holding hands pose, the "You may kiss the Bride" pose, and many more. And I had to say, "Wow, these people have some real patience in life to do this on a Sunday evening".

After quite a few jugs of alcohol, we decided to brave it to the volleyball pitch. And that was a lot of fun, trying to play a game that is really really difficult on sand & especially so when one is not used to it. And after I tried to dive at the ball a couple of times, I realised that sand really hurts.

Then back to the jug of alcohol (replenishment, you see) and then getting wet a bit. By this time, the DJ had decided to wake up & shake the rain water out of his plugs. Audio system plugs, clarification for all you perverted thinkers. And so we danced.

All in all, taking into account the rain & everything, it was a great evening. A lot of fun, a lot of play & a lot of alcohol being shared by quite a few people.

Only problem is, I woke up to cuts & scratches, thanks to the sand. And my lower torso hurts like hell!

No comments: