Monday, August 08, 2005

Along Came Polly

And I am not talking about the Ben Stiller / Jennifer Aniston movie. This is another story & a real one, at that.

Yesterday, after a really lazy morning, I went to IKEA to check out their new sale. (Just a bit of digression...here in Singapore, they pronounce it E-KEA as opposed to the rest of the world which does it as Eye-KEA). After getting dropped there in a blue coloured cab, I went around the store looking at some of the new interesting designs that IKEA has come out with. And an hour or so later, I realized that my phone was missing!

After a mad scramble through the store, I went and reported this to the Lost & Found department of IKEA. Then I called up & did the same with the blue cab company. And they all said they will get back to me as soon as they get some news.

I was really depressed. As you can see from my last post, I had just taken a new local connection and now I had to get that line suspended, get a replacement SIM card, get a new phone & all of that takes a lot of time & effort & money.

And then in the evening, Polly called!

This kindly lady had taken the cab after I got out & found my phone stuck to the seatbelt. So this blessed woman took the phone, found my hotel room card key in the phone & called me up to tell me that the phone was with her & that I can pick it up anytime.

I was halfway through the door when she said this. I was so thrilled to get me phone back. This is my only connection to the world & let me tell you...after getting used to having a phone with you all the time, it is pretty difficult to live without it for even a very short time.

So I went all the way to Punggol, one of the furthest points in the Singapore transit system & sure enough, there was Polly waiting for me with my phone.

I cannot thank you enough, Polly Wee.

No comments: