Tuesday, December 21, 2010

And nothing else matters

For an audiophile, last night was an extremely gratifying experience! To be surrounded by the cleanest sound I have ever heard and that too from songs that I have loved and adored my whole life was simply one of the most amazing few hours I have ever spent.


My ex boss, Anil, is into actually making audio gear. From stereo speakers to subwoofers to his very own class A amplifier, he's made them all. If you walk into his home theatre room, the first impression you would get is that there is WAY too much equipment in that room! There's a HUGE, and I really mean huge, dual cone subwoofer with 15" cones thumping out some serious bass frequencies. That is surrounded by at least 4 separate pairs of stereo speakers, all of them with their own sound signatures and characteristics. There's the open baffle configuration, there's the Altec theatre horn and LF box and then there's the one that blew my mind away!

Quite simply, this floor standing box with a labyrinth as part of its innards produced the cleanest and purest sound I have ever heard in my life. I have not heard stereo music reproduced this beautifully. Period.

What surprised me the most of this setup was the versatility of the sound and the purity of the reproduction of every single sound that was part of the compilation. We heard Hindustani Classical, Instrumental, Indian fusion, Bollywood music, Classic Rock and even Heavy Metal. Simply put, the speakers blew my mind every time I listened to every one of the songs.

To top it all, we played songs like "Stairway to Heaven", "Brothers in Arm", "Nothing Else Matters", "Beat It" and "The Pianoman" on LPs and the added warmth these speakers added was simply amazing. I never really appreciated Stairway to Heaven quite as much as it should have been up until last night! And to hear Jimmy Page's guitar play so clean and so crisp coming out of these wonder boxes just left me getting goose bumps all evening.

Thanx a lot, Anil. You made my evening. An amazing experience. The cleanest and the most wonderful sound I have heard till date. Thank you so much.

No comments: