Monday, April 24, 2006

A great week for sport (for me, at least)

First, Arsenal went and tied with Tottenham, thus staying out of the hunt for the Champions League qualification spot.

Then Chelsea lost to Liverpool in the semifinals of the FA cup. Yea! Go Liverpool! That's showing people who think money can buy trophies.

And then Schumi went ahead and took the 66th pole of his career, breaking the long standing record of 65 set by the late great Ayrton Senna. And what better place to do it than Imola where Senna set the record before the fateful crash that snatched one of Formula 1's greatest drivers.

And to top it all, Schumi led from start to finish to win his 85th career victory ahead of Alonso.

So Ferrari are back in the hunt after a dismal performance in the first four races of the season. Of course, the sweetner on the whole even was the performance (or the lack of) shown my the McLaren cars. While JPM managed to make it to the podium, the Retard (read Kimi) complained about getting caught in traffic. Boo Hoo!

All of these events took the pain out of my golf game yesterday. Yep, I was brave enough to play another round, this time in the middle of Palm Spring's monthly medal tournament.

I played to 95, a single stroke lower than my last, also my first, round at Palm Springs two weeks ago. And just like my last few rounds, my putting let me down.

I hit 11 out of 14 fairways and hit 8 greens in regulation, but made 40 putts! I was between eight and ten feet from the pin on six of my eight GIRs and I bogey every single one of them with a three putt. If that's not disgusting, I dont know what is.

And to add to my misery, I shanked two balls on the same hole into the water. I played that hole to 9 and positively cursing myself. Thankfully, I parred the next couple of them and my mood wasn't so bad.

All in all, the round was a warning and hinted very strongly on putting practice. I am going to spend the next full month practicing my putting, every evening.

Again, the saving grace for the round was something that happened afterward.

The organisation committee was holding the prize distribution and was handing out gifts on a lucky draw basis. I was just there having a bite as we hadn't eaten the whole day. And so I was really surprised when they pulled my name out of the bowl for the second most expensive prize of the evening.

An Ashworth travel bag.

So I walked out from Palm Spring with a nice bag under my arm and a welcome addition to my golf accessories. Now I don't need to take my backpack when I go and play golf. I can just carry the Ashworth.

All in all, a very good week for sport!

No comments: