Monday, October 24, 2005

200mts and still going

Yippeeeeeee!!!

If you don't understand why I am so happy, let me elaborate.

For all the while I have played golf, I have never used woods. The biggest reason for this is that all the driving ranges that I have practised at, my 3i would very regularly cross the range boundary. Being a long hitter, this causes a problems. I need to know where my ball is going to go before I hit it (cause if I hit it long in the wrong direction, that's not of any help) and so I need practise to know where the ball will go (generally).

So I never played woods thus far & thanx to that strategy, I am very very comfortable with my iron play. Cause I tee off with my irons, I approach with them. So I know how each of my irons feel. And I don't have a problem with my long irons like most amatuers do.

Now that my handicap has been stagnant around the 16 mark for a while and my swing has been quite consistent, I thought that moving on to the woods makes sense. Mainly because if they get me closer to the green, chances for par & birdie go up & therefore lower scores.

So I bought the TaylorMade R5 driver a couple of days back. It's a 10.5 degree, stiff shaft, Type-N driver. And it's a thing of beauty, I tell you. It's just gorgeous.

I took it to the driving range on the weekend and had a go. And boy, was I pleased.

I was hitting the ball consistently into the fence at the other end of the driving range (which is 200mts away from me) 20 feet in the air. Consistently.

Then I pushed my luck to see if I could work the ball with the club. Cause I regularly try and work the ball to the left or right depending on the way the course shapes. And to my astonishment, I could do that too. I could do a fade or a draw. I could do a slice or a hook (tho, I had more trouble making the slice than the hook, more because of the way I swing...not the way the driver is). And that's just terrific! Cause now I have a club that I can shape like I normally shape my other clubs.

I don't have to overswing or hit it too hard. My swing speed is enough to hit the ball really long.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Thank you, Mr Taylor!

No comments: