Monday, October 10, 2005

I went, I saw & I floored

That is exactly what happened. Exactly. "How? Pray tell", you say? Then lend me your ears, cause that's what this is all about.

Have I confused you enough? He he.

I was in the market for a home theatre setup for quite some time. I left my old Yamaha home theatre back in India with my parents (my mom would love to watch all her Hindi TV serials in surround sound). And so I was living with the really crappy sound of my Panasonic TV.

Now, for those who don't know me well, there is this quirk in me. I am extremely picky about a few things. Most of all, about my music. When it comes to my music, I think I have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, for the uninitiated). My CDs have to be in a certain order, my iTunes library is always with all information including album picture (which shows quite well on my colour iPod), and I like my music to sound just this way.

So you can imagine the frustration that I put this poor sales guy when I sampled some of the speakers that he had to offer.

And then I heard the KEF Q series. And I fell in love with them! Cause the sound is so clean, so pure that you just want to keep listening to them. And I decided right then and there that I wanted these particular speakers. And so I bought them, just like that. Of course it helped that my wife loved them too & my decision to buy had her blessings :-)

So my setup is going to be the following:
Two KEF Q3 front floor standing speakers (main L & R)
One KEF Q6c center channel speaker
Two KEF Q Compact rear speakers (surround L & R)
One Wharfdale PC10+ (a 10 inch bottom firing subwoofer to add that slam)

To drive all of this, I chose to go with a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R amplifier. This is a 100 watts RMS per channel DTS 6.1 capable amp. From all my research, this was the best in the price range that I was looking at.

All of this gets delivered to my place in the evening tomorrow. I can hardly wait.

I can almost see myself inventing a reason to get back home early.

No comments: