Monday, October 10, 2005

What a way to end a great weekend

Now this, I gotta tell you.

We had planned on going to Sentosa island on Saturday, but it rained durians on saturday morning. So we had to push our Sentosa plans ahead by a day. And assuming that the rain would hold up for the whole day, we decided to just go around for a bit of shopping (the other sport widely practised in Singapore).

Only thing is, the rain just disappeared by afternoon, leaving half a saturday with perfect weather.

And so, shop we did. Not anything to write about, but a tiny hole in the wallet nonetheless.

And so my daughter, my wife & I were looking forward to a clear sky on Sunday. But the rain had other plans. It came crashing down on Sunday morning as well. So we decided to take a chance with the rain & head out to Sentosa anyways. And it turned out to be a good decision. The rain vanished, just like it had on the previous day, by afternoon & we were heading out to Sentosa with perfect weather on our side.

I have been to Sentosa a few times (as a tourist) and so most of the attrations were not new to me. But my daughter was going there for the first time (technically, her second time...but she was just two years old then & so could not remember anything from her last visit).

So we took the cable car ride into Singapore. I have a photograph with my daughter's awestruck face as the cage hovered over the Singapore water on the way to the island strip.

Then we took her to the Underwater World. My daughter was a bit hesitant on touching the live fish in the "Touch Pool" they have there. But it was cool to touch a shark!

They now have this cool ride called Cinemania which is a 3D ride which simulates a Roller Coaster. And it is pretty convincing too. Something that all 3 of us enjoyed, mostly my wife.

Then we hopped on a Sentosa island bus (they have free shuttles running around the island every few minutes) and made our way to the Dolphin Lagoon. There we got to see two Pink Dolphins perform amazing tricks & had a great time. We even stepped into the water to pet Jumbo, a 30 year old dolphin, on his back & got our pictures taken with him.

After that, we decided that only knee deep water was not going to be good enough. So the beach it was.

We went to the Tanjong Beach which also has the lively KM8 bar. This piece of the beach was packed with people sunbathing, playing beach volleyball, sipping their favourite (or not) cocktails & just having a great time swinging to the rhythm of the music.

My daughter had her first experience of sea water swimming & she was a bit scared of seeing the waves come on the beach & leave. She spent most of the time on the sand making a castle (it didn't look like one, but the intent was there) and then making bunny rabbits next to them. That gave me and my wife some time by ourself in the water. And that is always welcome, if you catch my drift!

We intended to stay for some good time at KM8, but my daughter, tired from the busy day, was sleepy. And so we headed out to a place somewhere close to home to catch a bite.

And here is the great ending to my weekend.

There was a Bridgestone booth on Orchard Road. And they actually had Michael Schumaker's F1 Ferrari car on display, obviously flaunting the Bridgestone tires with it.

So we all got our pictures clicked alongside the car. Being a complete Schumi nut myself, this was a great gift at the end of a superb weekend.

That just set the bar pretty high for all the weekends to come.

No comments: