Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What's balls got to do with it?

I'm not trying to make a cover version of Tina Turner's Grammy winning song, but am actually trying to make a golf (what else?) point here.

Last year, my golf buddy suggested that I try using the Titliest ProV1x balls instead of the regular any-ball-will-do situation. He was quite emphatic about the fact that the ball is far superior and that it has helped his game quite a bit.

So I switched to the ProV1x balls and found that my game improved as well. I was able to control the spin I was putting on the ball and found that the ball was far easier to shape my shot around. It also helped that the ball went longer off the tee.

How does this change in equipment make such a difference?

If you looked at the Titliest site recently, you would notice that they have launched the new ProV1 and ProV1x series balls. And in the description, I found the answer. See the pictures below (all taken from the Titliest web site, they own the pictures - I'm just showing them to make a point)...



<- ProV1





ProV1x ->





Look at the layout of the dimples. The ProV1 has 392 dimples while the ProV1x has 332. We all know (?) that the dimples are there on a golf ball to reduce drag as the ball flies through the air. The layout will determine how the ball flight is, how much spin is put on the ball and how much drag is reduced to give a more penetrating ball flight.

And that is what it all comes down to.

Unfortunately, the new series of balls is not yet available with the guy who I usually buy them from. And as you know (?), the ProV1 and ProV1x series are a fairly expensive set to buy. A box of 12 balls used to cost me $80 (which is the best rate I have found in Singapore...other retailers charging upwards of $110). Not sure what the price is now.

Waiting for the new ProV1 series to arrive so that I can test drive them. Hopefully I will get my hands on them before my next round.

No comments: