Thursday, April 19, 2007

That's definately not entertainment

I usually have Google News as one of my tabs open in my web browser. It is my only gateway to the happenings in the world at large and is where I catch up on the news, sometimes as it happens.

Today, I was a bit disappointed with Google News, not because of the content, but because of the classification.

After the devastating event at the Virginia Tech campus where a 23 year old South Korean killed 32 innocent people before commiting suicide, there has been a lot of news about the event and the uproar that it has caused. There was even an article which asked "Should colleges ban guns?". To me, this is a stupid question with a rather simple answer. "NO!". That is the only answer comprehensible. But that does not stop the situation from manifesting. It's this whole problem of gun control and how guns are so much more accessible in the US than any other place in the world.

But coming back to Google News and my problem with it.

Here is how Google News classified the report on the South Korean sending a package to NBC News.



How can this piece of news be classified under "Entertainment"? It's not entertaining at all. It's one of the most depressing thing that you can hear or read about.

I think it's just insensitive of Google News. Agreed that they don't put it there on purpose, but I think their software should be aware of shuch things and put them in appropriate places. Insensitive handling of such issues is not a good thing.

No comments: