Sunday, April 08, 2007

Thank you, IRAS, for a wonderful job

You might remember that I came in to Singapore in August of 2005. When I came in, I realized that the taxation cycle in Singapore is as per the calendar year. And as per the rules, I did not complete the required more-than-6-months to get the regular taxation slabs applicable to me.

So I got taxed at non-resident rates with a flat 15% income tax charged to me.

This year, when I filed my income tax returns, I sent out an e-mail to taxqueries@iras.gov.sg appraising them of my situation (that I had paid higher tax because of lesser days in Singapore) and requesting them if it was possible, as I was filing my second tax returns - this time as a resident - here in Singapore, to get a refund of the additional tax paid during the last IT cycle.

What I was expecting as a response from IRAS was either them saying that it was not possible OR them telling me that I had to follow a certain procedure to claim the refund.

Imagine my surprise when I got a mail back from IRAS telling me that my case is noted and that the additional tax amount will be refunded to me! Just like that!

I was obviously thrilled that this was happening. Here again, I thought that IRAS would offset this amount with my tax this year and go about it's business. IRAS surprised me yet again!

They credited the additional amount in my bank account last week! Just like that!

No procedure, no forms, no nothing. Just a simple e-mail request and I got my tax refunded to my bank account! If that's not efficiency and non-red-tape behaviour, I don't know what is.

I am really impressed with you, IRAS. That was a great job done and you have given me another reason to like being in Singapore. You just made me like Singapore that much more. You just made me happy!

I never thought I would say this, but Cheers to you, IRAS!

No comments: