Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Term of convenience, huh?

Usually, when people use the word "Asian", they mean people that, for the lack of a better category, look Chinese. I know I am doing grave injustice to all the other races (and my most sincere apologies), but I am refering to people from the South East Asian countries.

What a lot of people miss out is exactly that. They are refering to people from South East Asian countries! That's just a part of the Asian continent. But that's how it happens.

Nobody notices the fact that India is a part of that very same continent and quite close to the South East region as well. But we Indians don't get refered to as Asians. Not all the time anyways.

But this morning, one of us did get mentioned as one.

Jeev Milkha Singh, one of our many outstanding golfers, won the Volvo Masters tournament on the European tour. On the same day, KJ Choi won the Chrysler Open on the PGA tour. The Straits Times article this morning shouted (on the top of their newsprint) that two "Asians" had won on the same weekend on two different tours and how the "Asian" golfers have come of age.

While I laud the achievements of either of these players (both playing down some really stiff competition to win their respective events), I just disagree with the selective usage of the word Asian.

I am an Indian. That makes me an Asian. Why the world has a problem with that logic is beyond me.

No comments: