Monday, October 30, 2006

Even the British can't spell right

Hmmm...

I was reading the EPL (English Premier League, for all the people who don't follow it) highlights on their site as I had missed the entire weekend's worth of football (business trip...what can I say).

The fantastic news: Manchester United destroyed Bolton Wanderers at their home Reebok Stadium by a scoreline of 4-0, Wayne Rooney helping himself to a hat-trick of goals just a few days after turning 21.

What I really found funny: Gary Neville being quoted on the EPL site. Check out the headline and the summary below it. Well, since you're so lazy, I am pasting a copy here (no offense and copyright infringement meant to the EPL).

NEVILLE: CONSISTENCY KEY TO UNITED SUCCESS
Gary Neville believes the seeds of Manchester United's blossoming title challenge were sewn at the back end of last season.

Sewn? SEWN??? I thought they were talking about seeds! If it's seeds, it should be SOWN!!! Cause that's what you do with seeds... You sow them! Sew is what you do with a needle. And so that would have made sense had they been talking about the plans for ManU (at least a little bit).

Even if sewn and sown are pronounced the same way, they convey very different meanings. I would have thought the English would know better(considering the fact that they are called just that: The English)

Funny, huh?

No comments: