Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Songs have such acute memory recall

I was driving home last night and, as usual, the music was playing out loud in the car.


What was different this time was that every time a song would come on, my mind was going back to a time when I either heard the song for the first time or something special was happening with the song playing in the background.

I floated from the pages of a book, to a dance show, to a stage performance, to a bus ride, to a restaurant. And just like that, I was home…floating on a cloud of memories, all of them triggered by as simple a thing as a song coming on.

I've had the same experience with perfumes, but this was far wilder. And there were so many memories that crowded my car as I drove home.

And I realized that I enjoy these songs, the ones which have a memory hard coded in their MP3 tag, a lot more than most. Must be something that makes them sweeter.

No comments: