Saturday, June 02, 2007

Pro-er than a Pro

I'm talking about the Wii...again!

So I have the Wii Sports set of games that I got along with the Wii. Just to refresh your memory, the set has Tennis, Baseball, Bowling, Golf and Boxing which allows you to have a great time with your motion sensitive Wii-mote. While we (my daughter, wife and I) all started with Bowling, I moved to Tennis as my favourite of the games. It took me a while to figure out how to time my shots for a ball moving on TV as opposed to actually hitting a real ball on a tennis court, but once I figured it out, I was all set.

The Wii Sports package has a points system which needs you to cross 1000 points to count as a Pro. What I have managed to do is go way, way beyond that level for tennis. I have - check this out - 2134 points. The highest ranked pro on the Wii is a programmed Mii called Elise who has 2000 points. She teams up with another with 1900 points for every game I play. Now here's the deal. Not only do I have to win everytime I play them, but I have to win convincingly to increase my points haul. So basically, I have to win by holding my serve convincingly and then breaking the opponent's serve convincingly. If I have to defend my serve for a couple of points, or if I take too long to break the opponents serve, I get points docked from my total even if I win in straight sets!

Be that as it may, my points have been above the 2000 point mark for a while and the graph that shows the progress of points is - as you might have guessed - literally off the charts.

So I guess I am the Roger Federer on the Wii (NOT!)

No comments: