Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Unnecessary tagging

What YouTube has done for me personally is allowed me to watch a lot of the clips that I would not normally get to watch of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. The reason I cannot watch his critically acclaimed and Emmy award winning show is because Comedy Central is NOT AVAILABLE here! And that sucks.

But what I can now do (since beggars can't be choosers...and. let's face it, I am a beggar...If you don't believe me, look at my bank balance) is search YouTube for Jon Stewart and watch all the snippets people have uploaded of The Daily Show. And it is certainly entertaining and Jon is an immensely funny guy.

Digression here: I highly recommend you watch Jon Stewart roast the hosts of CNN's later discontinued show "Crossfire" here

(You can also read the transcripts of the show here ... cause it's really funny)

But coming back to the point - or the post - I noticed that when I search for Jon Stewart, a lot of videos come up with the tags Jon and Stewart, sometimes even Daily Show, but have nothing to do with either Jon Stewart or The Daily Show. And that's one of the ways people are getting more of their videos being featured in more searches.

That's atrocious!

While that speaks volumes of the fact that Jon Stewart is such a heavily searched tag that people are prompted to do this kind of tagging, it is a serious nuisance to someone who wants honest results to searches.

And isn't YouTube a Google company now? In which case, shouldn't the by-now-omnipresent-and-by-far-most-used search engine be integrated with the Youtube infrastructure? Ok, so it takes time for an acquisition to fully get assimilated into an environment, but we are talking about Google here.

Anyways, I just hope people stop doing these pathetic things. It's just plain annoying.

No comments: