Sunday, December 03, 2006

People don't like to be questioned

Last night we went over to my wife's business partner's house for a barbeque, mainly to celebrate the beginning of the new business relationship. So all four partners and their spouses were there, with the inclusion of one of the partner's brother and his wife.

The ordeal began with trying to light the coal. As I had experienced during my vacation in India (where my buddy and I spent a lot of time trying to light coal so that we could enjoy a hookah), coal is extremely stubborn and takes it's own sweet time to get going. The starters that we had bought also turned out to be quite useless. So it took us a while to get the heat and start putting things on there so that we could eat.

Having sated our appetites, it was the time to cut the cake to celebrate the occasion and then speeches from the new business partners. As it turned out, there was a surprise in store for us.

The brother of this business partner, who was there as a guest to celebrate the occasion, decided to hijack the stage by going on a speech of his own. And the speech was about this project that he has been working on for a while which he wants my wife and her partners to collaborate with.

First of all, I think if he has a business proposition, he should do it on the business partners' time, not on the day of the celebration at a barbeque pit. Second, he should do his homework.

As usual, I played the part of the a$$ho1e who argued with everybody. But I did not argue just for the heck of it. I was really pissed off with this guy hijacking everybody's agenda. And then I started asking questions which he did not have answers for. Because of which, he promptly had a sulking expression on his face and refused to talk after a while.

If he was not prepared to be questioned on the soundness of the business plan, he shouldn't have brought up the subject in the first place. And I think people should do their research before they venture into making business decisions.

All in all, I realized that people who have been here for a while (more than 10 years) don't like to be questioned. And they have lost touch with reality.

I don't care.

No comments: