Thursday, December 28, 2006

An old fashioned cobbler

You get to see them fairly regularly in India, what with majority of the population unable to afford the snazzy shoes that the minority flaunts these days. But cobblers are usually in the vicinity of most residential areas and are fairly busy.

I had not seen one in Singapore. Until yesterday.

Yesterday, I was at the ICA building (next to the Lavender MRT) to extend my mother-in-law's social visit pass date. Since almost the whole of Singapore had decided to do the same thing on that very day, there was hardly any place to stand, let alone sit in the obsenely crowded space. And since it took me a while, I did not get a chance to catch lunch. So I stepped across the street to get a Coke, mainly to get some sugar into my system to keep me going. And while I was walking back, I saw him.

A really old man mending shoes right outside the Lavender MRT station.

And he even had a customer.

Cool!

I did not think people in Singapore felt the need for a cobbler, cause you see shoe shops everywhere and almost all of them crowded. But just his presence there indicated that there are people here who need him to do his thing.

I learn everyday!

No comments: