Friday, May 13, 2005

I heard it the first time!

Aaargh! Just cause you say it again & again does not make it any better. Or any worse!

I am, of course, talking about my wife.

She has this habbit of brewing herself in a concentrated state of worry. And that could be for any reason, no matter how trivial. Today, it's the washing machine. Tomorrow, it'll be something my daughter did. Yesterday, it was something that I did, or should have done, or shouldn't have done or forgot to do.

Phew... Now I keep telling her to chill & relax a bit. And that the only person who gets worked up over nothing is her. And that this will adversely effect her health. Which it has. But what woman listens to her husband?

So the modus operandi is always the same. Slide in a statement in moments of inactivity (usually when I am eating), wait to see if there is a response & and then continue on a complete discourse of all that is bothering her. Now I have no problem with me being kept abreast of the facts. What I do have a problem with is the repetition of the same facts over & over again.

Just because you say it three or four times does not make it anymore serious or any more worse. It just manages to accomplish one thing: It get's ME worked up. Something that I try very hard not to get.

There are enough and more things in my life which attempt to get me worked up. But they are always beyond a certain point. My wife, by sheer definition, is inside that boundary & so is, unfortunately, within striking distance of the "Get Worked Up" button within me.

Maybe I'll try hypnosis on her. Put in a post hypnotic suggestion to take a chill pill everytime she feels the need to get herself (and in the process, me) worked up. Maybe that'll work. There's only one problem.

I can't hypnotize anyone for nuts. N V T S ... Nuts!
(For people who didn't get that, watch Mel Brooks' "History of the World")

No comments: